- This event has passed.
National Diaper Need Awareness Week 2021 Diaper Drive
1 IN 3 CHILDREN IN CHICAGO ARE LIVING IN POVERTY
DIAPERS ARE NOT COVERED BY GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE
September 27, 2021 @ 8:00 am – October 1, 2021 @ 5:00 pm
Representative Hirschauer is proud to partner with Share Our Spare to host a diaper
drive from September 27 – October 3, 2021 to help end diaper need in Chicago. The
facts about diaper need in Chicago are sobering:
- 1 in 3 children in Chicago live below the federal poverty level
- Despite the overwhelming need, government assistance programs do not cover diapers and wipes
- Parents report having to choose between food or diapers for their children
Share Our Spare is a Chicago-based non-profit with a mission to ensure every child in
Chicago has access to the basic essentials necessary to thrive in the first five years of
life. Share Our Spare collects new and gently used items for children ages newborn to
5 and distributes them to families living in poverty through a network of 100 social
service agencies. During Share Our Spare’s first 8 years they distributed 1 million
diapers but because of the COVID-19 crisis they distributed 1 million diapers in 2020
alone. These diapers went to more than 40,000 children in need. This year Share Our
Spare is on track to distribute more than 1.5 MILLION diapers, helping parents focus
on caregiving instead of worrying about securing the basics for their children.
We invite you to help Share Our Spare collect 250,000 diapers for their National
Diaper Need Awareness Week drive by:
- Purchasing diapers at the Share Our Spare Online Diaper Drive
- Bringing size 4, 5, and 6 diapers and Pull-Ups for Representative Hirschauer’s collection drive. The donation bin will be located at our office (946 Neltnor Blvd, #108, West Chicago 60185) during the week of September 27th.
- Making a monetary donation here to help Share Our Spare purchase diapers at cost.
State Representative Maura Hirschauer